Tuesday, January 24, 2012

What is Literacy?

Literacy means different things to different people. As demonstrated by the two essays we read, there are many different levels of literacy that go beyond just the definition of knowing how to read. Frederick Douglass was not yet literate when his slave owner showed him the alphabet. Even when he began to recognize words and comprehend simple ideas, he did not consider himself literature. When finally, he could read and comprehend, but also write in a way that was able to be comprehended, he considered himself literate. Many people can read, but if they cannot comprehend what they are reading and make a valid judgement, should they be considered literate? I think literacy is not only being able to read others work, but also to know how to communicate your own ideas into words. Writing is a big part of literacy, not just reading comprehension. Although I do not like the amount that technology has taken over the modern world, I do not believe that it is making our society less literate. If anything, technology is greatly improving literacy. The internet enables more people to have access to online texts that can engage them and interest them, and maybe for some people, their first reading comprehension will not occur until they find something on the Web. I myself have expanded my literacy through use of research and reading on the Web. I understand Siegal's point that if we are too consumed by technology we are not literate to what is surrounding us, and I qualify with his argument, because I do believe being literate of our real world surroundings is important, but I also see a lot of benefits with technology for third world countries to improve literacy in their countries.

No comments:

Post a Comment